- Cod Collapse: The Fall and Rise of Newfoundland’s Saltwater Cowboys. 2019. Nimbus Publishing. (Read an overview or Meet the author during her fall 2019 book tour)
- Finalist for a National Magazine Award in the category of “Best New Magazine Writer” for “Letters from Pop,” Maisonneuve, 2018.
- Silver Finalist for an Atlantic Journalism Award in the category of “Best Profile Article” for “Half a century a fisherman,” Saltscapes, 2018.
- Fishing Lessons: Bringing the whole community back to the wharf, one child and one woman at a time. November 2019. Reader’s Digest.
- Had It Coming: Robyn Doolittle (Session Review). October 2019. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- In My Own Moccasins: Helen Knott (Session Review). October 2019. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- The Vagina Bible: Dr. Jen Gunter (Session Review). October 2019. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- Family Ties with Zalika Reid-Benta, Carol Rose GoldenEagle and Michael Crummey (Session Review). October 2019. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- Friends Like These with Anakana Schofield, Sara Peters and Megan Gail Coles. (Session Review). October 2019. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- Accordion to Don: How a Squeezebox Became a Barometer for My Father’s Health. Summer 2019. Newfoundland Quarterly. (listen to the Father’s Day 2019 show of VOCM’s Sunday Drive with Darrell Power for an interview with Jenn Thornhill Verma about this article – the segment runs 15.53-23:21)
- The Newfoundland Expatriate Survey (Part 1). July 18, 2019. The Independent (Newfoundland and Labrador).
- The Newfoundland Expatriate Survey (Part 2). July 22, 2019. The Independent (Newfoundland and Labrador). (Read the August 3, 2019 CBC News story “Buried report offers insight on why expats leave N.L. — and why they’d return.” The story followed Jenn’s interview on CBC Radio’s On the Go on July 23, 2019)
- Cod and The Fishery: Down, But Not Out. July 2, 2019. The Independent (Newfoundland and Labrador).
- Shed Culture: Some Work, All Play is the Newfoundland and Labrador Way. May 2019 (Cover story). Downhome Magazine.
- Roam Like Home: Journal Entries From a Trip Across Newfoundland. April 2019. Newfoundland Quarterly.
- Here Comes the Sun: Artist Jean Claude Roy’s Bright Outlook for Newfoundland and Labrador. March 2019. Newfoundland Quarterly.
- Letter: Career opportunity in fishing. . . for plastic? (Opinion-Editorial) November 19, 2018. The Telegram (St. John’s, NL)
- Letter: The reasons we fish: Calling it “recreational” misses the mark. (Opinion-Editorial). October 6, 2018. The Telegram (St. John’s, NL)
- Letter: Abuses to Recreational Cod Fishery Hurts Everyone, Including the Fish. (Opinion-Editorial) September 28, 2018. The Telegram (St. John’s, NL)
- I’s The B’y That Catches the ‘Bergs: Meet Newfoundland and Labrador’s Iceberg Cowboy. Winter 2018. Explore Magazine (p.14)
- Half a Century a fisherman – ‘til they closed it. First Person Feature. Winter 2018. Saltscapes Magazine
- Mark Your Calendars: Corner Brook is hosting a Come Home Year 2019 and Everyone’s Invited. September 2018. Downhome Magazine
- Letters from Pop(Newfoundland and Labrador’s Poor Literacy Legacy). March 2018. Maisonneuve Magazine
- Abandoned Architecture as Art. January 2018. Downhome Magazine
- I’m Afraid of Men: Vivek Shraya (Session Review). 2018. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- The Secret History of Soldiers: Tim Cook (Session Review). 2018. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- First Person: Darrel J. McLeod and Tom Wilson (Session Review). 2018. Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- An Artist’s View. October 2016. Downhome Magazine
- Still Afloat. March 2016. Downhome Magazine
For excerpts of my recent works, visit my Keepsake Gallery.
Verma JY, Amar C, Sibbald S, Rocker GM. Improving care for advanced COPD
through practice change: Experiences of participation in a Canadian spread
collaborative. Chron Respir Dis. 2018 Feb;15(1):5-18. doi: 10.1177/1479972317712720. Epub 2017 Jun 14. PubMed PMID: 28612657; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5802658.
Rocker G, Farquhar M, Verma J. New models of care for respiratory disease: A
thematic edition. Chron Respir Dis. 2018 Feb;15(1):3-4. doi:
10.1177/1479972316679682. Epub 2017 Oct 5. PubMed PMID: 28982256; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5802652.
Ly O, Sibbald SL, Verma JY, Rocker GM. Exploring role clarity in
interorganizational spread and scale-up initiatives: the ‘INSPIRED’ COPD
collaborative. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Sep 3;18(1):680. doi:
10.1186/s12913-018-3474-2. PubMed PMID: 30176870; PubMed Central PMCID:
Verma J, Drimer N. 2018. Introduction: Co-created, co-delivered, co-lived: Toward better health and care for inner-city populations (casebook). CFHI: Ottawa, ON. (p.3)
Rocker GM, Amar C, Laframboise WL, Burns J, Verma JY. Spreading improvements
for advanced COPD care through a Canadian Collaborative. Int J Chron Obstruct
Pulmon Dis. 2017 Jul 26;12:2157-2164. doi: 10.2147/COPD.S140043. eCollection PubMed PMID: 28794620; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5536231.
Verma J, O’Connor P, Hodge J, Abrams H, Bennett J, Sinha S. Healthcare for
the Aging Citizen and the Aging Citizen for Healthcare: Involving Patient
Advisors in Elder-Friendly Care Improvement. Healthc Q. 2017;20(1):14-17. PubMed
Rossiter M, Verma J, Denis JL, Samis S, Wedge R, Power C. Governing
Collaborative Healthcare Improvement: Lessons From an Atlantic Canadian Case. Int
J Health Policy Manag. 2017 May 16;6(12):691-694. doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2017.60.
PubMed PMID: 29172375; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5726318.
Farmanova E, Kirvan C, Verma J, Mukerji G, Akunov N, Phillips K, Samis S.
Triple Aim in Canada: developing capacity to lead to better health, care and
cost. Int J Qual Health Care. 2016 Dec 1;28(6):830-837. doi:
10.1093/intqhc/mzw118. PubMed PMID: 28423164; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5892163.
Amar C, Verma J, King D, MacAusland D, Harper T, Vallis M. Self-Management
Support in Chronic Care: Practice Implementation Lessons for Healthcare Providers
from an Atlantic Collaborative. Healthc Q. 2016;18(4):49-54. PubMed PMID:
Verma JY, Denis JL, Samis S, Champagne F, O’Neil M. A Collaborative Approach
to a Chronic Care Problem. Healthc Pap. 2016;15 Spec No:19-38. PubMed PMID:
Sampalli T, Edwards L, Christian E, Kohler G, Bedford L, Demmons J, Verma J,
Gibson R, Carson SR. A Patient-Centred Redesign Framework to Support System-Level Process Changes for Multimorbidities and Chronic Conditions. Healthc Q.
2015;18(3):34-42. PubMed PMID: 26718252.
Verma JY, Amar C. Can a Healthcare “Lean Sweep” Deliver on What Matters to
Patients? Comment on “Improving Wait Times to Care for Individuals with
Multimorbidities and Complex Conditions Using Value Stream Mapping”. Int J Health
Policy Manag. 2015 Jul 28;4(11):783-5. doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2015.140. PubMed PMID: 26673343; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4629708.
Rocker GM, Verma JY, Demmons J, Mittmann N. Number Needed To… $ave? Clin
Invest Med. 2015 Feb 6;38(1):E11-4. PubMed PMID: 25662619.
Rocker GM, Verma JY. ‘INSPIRED’ COPD Outreach Program™: doing the right
things right. Clin Invest Med. 2014 Oct 4;37(5):E311-9. PubMed PMID: 25282137.
Verma J, Petersen S, Samis S, Akunov N, Graham, J. Healthcare Priorities in Canada. Prepared to support the Canadian Harkness Fellowship Canadian Tour, hosted by the Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement with The Commonwealth Fund. 2014. CFHI: Ottawa, ON.
Akunov N. & Verma J. Healthcare Primer (Series): How is healthcare regionalized across Canada?; How are hospitals financed across Canada?; and How is quality of care measured across Canada? 2014. Canadian Healthcare Network.
Marchildon GP, Verma JY, Roos N. Opinion editorials: the science and art of
combining evidence with opinion. Evid Based Med. 2013 Oct;18(5):161-4. doi:
10.1136/eb-2012-100996. Epub 2012 Nov 9. PubMed PMID: 23143923; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3786663.
Sutherland K, Leatherman S, Law S, Verma J, Petersen S. Chartbook: shining a
light on the quality of healthcare in Canada: what can be learned to catalyze
improvements in healthcare quality? Healthc Pap. 2012;12(1):10-24. PubMed PMID:
Verma J, Petersen S, Sutherland K, Law S, & Leatherman S. (2012). The Authors Respond – Quality of Healthcare in Canada. Healthc Pap. 2012;12(1): 51-58.
Leith E, Kirvan CK, Verma JY, Lewis K, Robertson S. Re-imagining healthcare:
the Northwest Territories transitions to an integrated chronic disease management
strategy. Healthc Q. 2012;15(1):19-21. PubMed PMID: 22354049.
Major J, Verma J, Samis S. Better with age: a regional roundtable series on
health systems planning for the aging population. Healthc Q. 2011;14(2):14-5.
PubMed PMID: 21841386.
Brosseau M, Verma J. Engaging patients to improve healthcare quality. Healthc
Q. 2011;14(3):16-8. PubMed PMID: 21841371.
Major J & Verma J. How can we provide better health care to older Canadians? 2011Long Term Care Magazine. 21(3). Ontario Long Term Care Association.
Brasset-Latulippe A, Verma J, Mulvale G. & Barclay K. Provincial and Territorial Health System Priorities: An Environmental Scan. 2011. CHSRF, Ottawa, ON.
Brasset-Latulippe A, Verma J, Mulvale G. & Barclay K. Transformation Lessons from Disease-based Strategies: An Environmental Scan Chronic disease: New frontier of healthcare. 2011. CHSRF, Ottawa, ON.
Major J & Verma J. Putting it in context: Canadians’ views on the financial sustainability, quality and accessibility of healthcare in Canada (A Backgrounder). 2011. CHSRF Ottawa, ON.
Verma J, Samis S. Canada’s population is aging. Healthc Pap. 2011;11(1):3-5.
PubMed PMID: 21464621.
McGrail K. & Verma J. Examining Geographic Variations in Healthcare Services Delivery. Briefing for the 2011 CEO Forum, Leadership accountability in Canadian healthcare: Creating the momentum to improve quality. 2011. CHSRF, Ottawa, ON.
Hollander M, Verma J & Major J. Improving Transitions Across the Continuum of Care. Briefing for the 2011 CEO Forum, Leadership accountability in canadian healthcare: Creating the momentum to improve quality. 2011. CHSRF, Ottawa, ON.
Elshaung A, Verma J & Petersen S. Improving allocation efficiencies in healthcare. Briefing for the 2011 CEO Forum, Leadership accountability in canadian healthcare: Creating the momentum to improve quality. 2011. CHSRF, Ottawa, ON.
Thornhill J. Charter on improving quality of patient care: can CEOs and boards
create the momentum Canada needs to realize performance gains? Healthc Q.
2010;13(3):12-4. PubMed PMID: 20523144
Coutts J, Thornhill J. Service-based funding and pay for performance: will
incentive payments give Canadian healthcare the quality boost it needs? Healthc
Q. 2009;12(3):42-9. PubMed PMID: 19553761.
Thornhill J, Judd M, Clements D. CHSRF knowledge transfer: (re)introducing the
self-assessment tool that is helping decision-makers assess their organization’s
capacity to use research. Healthc Q. 2009;12(1):22-4. PubMed PMID: 19142059.
Fletcher L, Thornhill J. Organizational value in enhancing individual
research use capacity: a joint evaluation project led by EXTRA and SEARCH Canada.
Healthc Q. 2009;12(2):18-20. PubMed PMID: 19369806.
Shortt M, Thornhill J. Health infostructure and the
cultural imperative. Healthc Q. 2009;12(4):16-8. PubMed PMID: 20057224.
Thornhill J, Clements D, Neeson J. Myths, “zombies” and “damned lies” plague
Canadian healthcare systems: what’s a researcher to do? Healthc Q.
2008;11(3):14-5. PubMed PMID: 18677833.
Thornhill J, Dault M. Healthy healthcare workplaces: improving the health and
work environments of professionals. Healthc Q. 2008;11(4):16-9. PubMed PMID:
Morrison E, Thornhill J, Sheps S. A Foot in Both Camps: Graduate Voices at the
Interface of Applied Health Services Research, Policy and Decision-making.
Healthc Policy. 2008 May;3 Spec no:118-30. PubMed PMID: 19377316; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2645184.
Rexe K, Vigneault S, Thornhill J. Public reporting: one piece of the quality
improvement puzzle. Healthc Q. 2008;11(1):18-9. PubMed PMID: 18326374.
Thornhill J, Dault M, Clements D. Ready, set… collaborate? The evidence says
“go,” so what’s slowing adoption of inter-professional collaboration in primary
healthcare? Healthc Q. 2008;11(2):14-6. PubMed PMID: 18700266.
Thornhill J, & Clements D. Mythbusters Teaching Resource. 2008. CHSRF: Ottawa, ON.
Thornhill J, Stipich N. Executive Training for Research Application (EXTRA)
community of practice. Healthc Q. 2007;10(4):16-8. PubMed PMID: 18019893.
Thornhill J, Vigneault S, Clements D. Broadening the dialogue to include
quality. Healthc Q. 2007;10(2):20-1. PubMed PMID: 17491561.
- Jenn Thornhill Verma’s artwork has been featured in Newfoundland Quarterly, Atlantic Books Today and in her book, Cod Collapse: The Rise and Fall of Newfoundland’s Saltwater Cowboys.
- Jenn Thornhill Verma has been interviewed for a variety of news programs such as CBC Ottawa Morning, The Broadcast (CBC NL), The Telegram/The Western Star, CFRA News (Ottawa), VOCM (NL) Back Talk and VOCM Sunday Drive, among others.
- She regularly presents at national and international events/conferences as well as to graduate-level programs (e.g., McMaster University Degroote School of Business and University of Toronto’s Institute of Health Policy Management and Evaluation).
- Jenn was also the longest standing writer/editor for the popular CFHI Mythbusters series, debunking widely held beliefs about healthcare in Canada with best-available evidence (Jenn wrote/edited every issue from 2006-2013)